Sunday, January 31, 2010

My attempt at compelling photography



This succulent was given to me by a parent this summer. I find the structure and nature of the plant to be compelling. While taking photos of this plant in my classroom i took the opportunity to try different settings on my basic digital camera like flash/no flash, settings like macro and mode. These different settings allowed different aspects to be highlighted and shadowed throughout the shades of green, the pot, and potting soil. I removed all distractions from the background, but I feel that this made the plant seem less personable and boring. I almost feel that I distracted form this plants natural beauty by removing it from its' original surroundings. Upon selection of this photo I worked to crop the photo to keep the pot in the lower right hand third. This allowed for the strong curve of the growth to be a secondary focal point on the left third. As far as playing with contrast, I increased the low-lights to emphasize the horizontal stripes of the clay pot and to increase the contrast among the silvery leaves.




The less compelling photo I find to be almost out of context and hard to know what the focus was supposed to be. While taking this photo I wanted to display the new silvery growth off of the older greener growth. I admired the curve of the lone branch, but the angle is not quite in a good perspective. The closest portion of the branch is also out of focus and missing the details of the leaves. Despite adjusting the contrast the leaves did not pop against the background, but the slightest scratches in the background table kept drawing my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment